Wise Giving Wednesday: Five Questions to Ask About Donating to Hurricane Idalia Relief
Five Questions to Ask About Donating to Hurricane Idalia Relief
As Hurricane Idalia has made landfall in Florida today, generous donors will seek to support relief efforts that are engaged in disaster-related activities. BBB Wise Giving Alliance recommends contributors to ask five questions to help them make wise giving decisions.
- Does the disaster appeal describe the charity’s activities? Look for appeals that are upfront and clear about what disaster relief services you are supporting.
- How experienced is the charity in disaster relief? Donate to experienced organizations that stand ready to provide quick and effective assistance. Be cautious of organizations that form overnight in the wake of a disaster
- Should you donate goods? Contributing money is the quickest way to help and provides charities with the flexibility to channel resources to impacted areas. Instead of donating food, consider supporting food banks near an impacted area. Visit Feeding America (a BBB Accredited Charity) which works with food banks across the country.
- Have you checked out the charity? Rely on expert opinion when it comes to evaluating a charity. We recommend giving to charities that meet all 20 BBB Standards for Charity Accountability, found at BBB’s Give.org.
- What about crowdfunding requests? If engaging in crowdfunding, it is safest to give to someone you personally know and trust. Also review the platform’s policies and procedures, keeping in mind that while some crowdfunding sites take measures to vet posts, others don’t.
The following BBB Accredited Charities (i.e., meet the 20 BBB Standards for Charity Accountability) announce they are collecting funds to assist Hurricane Idalia relief efforts. This list will be updated as additional efforts come to our attention.
American Red Cross - Hurricane Idalia Activities
Americares – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Brother’s Brother Foundation – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Direct Relief – Hurricane Idalia Activities
GlobalGiving – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Heart to Heart International – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Humane Society of the United States – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Matthew 25: Ministries – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Operation California – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Salvation Army – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Save the Children – Hurricane Idalia Activities
United Way Worldwide – Hurricane Idalia Activities
World Renew – Hurricane Idalia Activities\
World Vision – Hurricane Idalia Activities
Video of the WeekOur latest Building Trust Video includes an interview with Donald S. Wood, Ph.D., President & CEO, Muscular Dystrophy Association (a BBB Accredited Charity) which works to find a cure for muscular dystrophy and offers multidisciplinary care for individuals and families to help manage disease symptoms. The organization funds research on neuromuscular diseases to uncover breakthroughs that accelerate treatments and cures. MDA also provides care for kids and adults at MDA Care Centers, support and resources for families through the Resource Center, and summer camp opportunities.
Heart of Giving Podcast
This week’s Heart of Giving Podcast features Robin Steinberg, the founder of The Bail Project, which provides free bail assistance for low-income Americans. Robin has also helped found three other organizations: The Bronx Defenders, The Bronx Freedom Fund and Still She Rises, Tulsa.
We are always working with charities to publish or update reports for donors. Visit Give.org or local BBBs to check out any charity before giving. Our recently evaluated charities include: